When the weather gets cold or I’m looking for a protein-rich vegan meal that will keep me full for hours, I love a good savoury breakfast.
This Savoury Breakfast Casserole is the perfect vegan dish to get me ready for the day ahead and it also makes a yummy lunch!
And let’s be real, one of the hardest things for most people to let go of when they start eating vegan is eggs, but fortunately, there’s an excellent alternative – tofu, but done right!
With the right spices, herbs and prep you’ll be loving your vegan-friendly breakfast options in no time.
Try it out and let us know how you liked it!
Savory Breakfast Casserole
PREP TIME: 10 minutes (not including time to make Quick Bacon Crumbles)
ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes
INACTIVE TIME: 40 to 45 minutes
- Olive oil spray
- One 14-ounce block extra firm tofu
- 3 cups unsweetened nondairy milk (nut-free if necessary)
- 2½ cups chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1½ teaspoons black salt (kala namak; or regular salt)
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- One 16-ounce bag frozen hash browns
- Quick Bacon Crumbles
- 4 green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F . Lightly spray a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with olive oil.
- Gently squeeze the tofu over the sink, releasing any extra water. Add the tofu, milk, chickpea flour, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder, mustard powder, turmeric, and pepper to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into your largest bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté until just barely tender. Pour them into the bowl and return the pan to the stove. Add the hash browns to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thawed and golden in color. Remove from the heat and pour into the bowl.
- Add the bacon crumbles to the bowl and stir until combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the green onions over the top. Bake for 35 minutes, or until firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.